Freemed-YiRC: General Tour
Welcome to Freemed-YiRC!
YiRC stands for Youth in Residential Care, which is the type of business that this software is developed for, although additions have been made for Foster/Adoptive Care as well.
Using Freemed-YiRC is a lot like using the Internet. The technology behind Freemed-YiRC is the same that is used behind many web sites on the Internet. You can use the mouse, just like you would if you were using a website. You can also cut and paste, if you have some text you want to copy, but don't want to re-type it. You can do this in one of two ways... you can highlight the text with the mouse and press CTRL-C, then go to where you want to paste it to and press CTRL-V... or you can highlight the text you want to copy from with the mouse and go to Edit -> Copy, then go to where you want to paste it to and go to Edit -> Paste.
Freemed-YiRC is designed to look like a series of windows. A window is basically just a box with a title bar. Notice the Freemed-YiRC window has a blue title bar that says Freemed-YiRC, and has some buttons on it. Here is an explanation of these buttons:
- This icon will only appear in Freemed-YiRC version V1.30 and later. In addition, it may not appear on all pages. Clicking this icon functions the same as if you clicked on the Back or Cancel link at the bottom of the current page. This icon saves you from having to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the screen to access the Back or Cancel link.
- This will open up a new Freemed-YiRC window and bring you to your main menu. This is useful, because it allows you to stop what you're doing exactly where you are, open up a new window, do something else, and then return to the task you were originally working on. Once you are done with the new window, be sure and close that window, do not log out! If you log out, then close that window, and return to your original task, you will find that when you try and access it, you were logged out, and any work you were working on would be lost. Again, when you use this feature to open a new window, when you are done with the new window, clost that window by either choosing File - > Close or hitting the X in the browsers window! Do not hit the X in the Freemed-YiRC window!
- This is the On-Line Help access button. To view help about any particular menu, just click on this button to learn more! Your installation of Freemed-YiRC may be set up in one of three ways:
- Internal Help Only - If your agency does not have Internet access, or Internet access is restricted, you may only be able to access the Freemed-YiRC internal help pages. When you click the help icon you will be displayed helpful information about that page if it is available. This help information is likely limited, as most documentation efforts have shifted to this wiki.
- Internal Help/Link To Freemed-YiRC Wiki - If your agency is set up for this, when you first click on the help icon for a given page you will see any help information that is stored internally with Freemed-YiRC (this help information is likely limited, as most documentation efforts have shifted to this wiki). On that help page at the bottom will also be a link to this Freemed-YiRC wiki for the given page you are looking at.
- Freemed-YiRC Wiki Only - When you click on the help icon for a given page it will take you directly to the applicable help page for that menu on this Freemed-YiRC wiki.
- This is the E-Mail access button. If you have new mail since the last time you've checked, this icon will appear red (). Clicking this button will take you directly to your e-mail.
- This is the Main Menu button. Clicking on this button will bring you to your main menu from anywhere in the system. Even if you're writing a casenote, and you need to get to your main menu quickly (instead of going back through the various menus), just click on this one button, and you will be brought directly back to your main menu!
- This is the Freemed-YiRC Log Out button. From anywhere in the system, just hit this one button, and you will be automatically logged out!
On nearly every page you should see a link that says BACK. Clicking on this link will take you to the previous menu. Please avoid using the browsers back button (unless Freemed-YiRC asks you to), as you may get lost! Also, many pages will have a CANCEL function. If you're doing something, and you decide that you really don't want to do it, you may hit the CANCEL link, and you will be brought back to your previous menu!
In Freemed-YiRC, most important documents are numbered with something called an Invoice Number. This invoice number is an easy way to find that document. You have probably noticed that many times you wished there was a way to reference a document in an easier way. For instance, if you are telling a person how to find a specific casenote, you have to tell them the group home, the name of the resident, and the rough date of the note. Well with Freemed-YiRC, that process had been made a bit easier. If you give the other person the Invoice Number of that note, then using the Invoice Number Lookup tool on the main menu, you can just enter that invoice number, and be taken directly to that note! No need fumbling around with menus and more menus when can go straight to it.
For more information, please see the documentation page!